20 Apr 2010

a gentleman bee and a caterpillar called milton










































I got to the studio early and started on some new pieces. 
Also started packing up a piece for the show 
at  Badcocks Gallery in Newlyn, Cornwall at the start of May.
I've been thinking about the usefulness of the two walls I stare at when I'm working - in my study and my studio.
I never seem to have the right images in front of me.  
Listened to Radio 4 all day - been enjoying the man who has named all his caterpillars 
after poets on the Saving Species series.


J has been collecting various things and lining them up on the window next to his desk.






The volcano is still going.......








SILVER LINING
Five miles up the hush and shush of ash,
Yet the sky is as clean as a white slate -
I could write my childhood there.
Selfish to sit in this garden listening to the past
(A gentleman bee wooing its flower, a lawnmower)
When the grounded planes mean ruined plans,
Holidays on hold, sore absences at weddings, funerals... wingless commerce.
But Britain’s birds sing in this spring
From Inverness to Liverpool, from Crieff to Cardiff
Oxford, Londontown, Land’s End to John O’ Groats.
The music’s silent summons,
That Shakespeare heard and Edward Thomas, briefly, us.









........................................................................

No comments: